Amsterdam was a three-night stop on the way to Norway for our winter 2016 trip. We had a bit of a shock when we spoke English and could be understood. It was wintery and cold, but that didn’t stop the city from riding their 660,000 bikes. I loved it and really want to go back in warmer climes. Here were our family’s favorites:
- Van Gogh Museum– Buy tickets ahead of time. Get the kid’s audio tour. Marvel at the prolific talent of this mad and brilliant artist.
- Canal Tour- Way too cold to explore the water on a boat ourselves, we took a heated boat ride with Blue Boat Tours. The views from the waterways are really wonderful. Also, they offered a cool kids’ audio guide (yes, a theme for us). Touristy, but cool.
- Houseboat Museum– This is literally a little houseboat you can walk through. Simple and sweet, shows the kids that people really live in all sorts of crazy places around the world.
- The Nine Streets- Shopping in little boutiques reminiscent of great shopping in you favorite local neighborhood. Especially loved Scotch & Soda and The Frozen Fountain.
- Eat local. We had Dutch home-cooking at Moeders and pancakes bigger than our heads at the aptly named Pancakes.